Fullerton, Calif. – Paul Ryan’s Super PAC released a negative ad that blatantly makes false claims about Gil Cisneros, Fmr. Lieutenant Commander, veterans and education advocate, and co-founder of the Gilbert and Jacki Cisneros Foundation. The ad attempts to call into question Cisneros’s ten years of decorated service in the Navy and the millions of dollars his Foundation has given to underserved students, children, and veterans.
“Gil Cisneros is the grandson of World War II veterans, the son of a Vietnam veteran, and served our nation for ten years as a decorated U.S. Naval Officer,” said Nic Jordan, Deputy Campaign Manager and Communications Director for the Cisneros campaign. “It’s frankly unconscionable to question the patriotism of a man who was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal, Navy Achievement Medal, the National Defense Medal, and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for his exemplary service to his country. Not many feel a deep obligation to answer the call to serve our nation, and Gil did so patriotically and with distinction.
“Not only did Gil feel a deep obligation to serve our country, he felt a responsibility to give back to his community following his distinguished service and used his good fortune to give millions to underserved students, children, and veterans. Gil’s foundation has helped thousands of students achieve a future they never thought was possible. It’s disgusting that Paul Ryan’s Super PAC is spending millions of dollars making offensive judgements about a patriot who has invested millions in children and their future.
“Paul Ryan’s Super PAC also dredges up a totally false allegation of misconduct. Every legitimate news outlet that has researched this false allegation has found that it is simply not true. There are multiple eyewitnesses, including a local Emmy Award-winning television journalist, that fundamentally contradict the alleged events and can verify that the allegations are completely false.”
Local veterans in the district also released a statement denouncing Paul Ryan’s Super PAC’s false claims and blatant attacks on Cisneros’s military service:
“Falsely impugning the service and patriotism of a veteran creates division and is a disservice to all our veterans, our district, and our country. Gil Cisneros is a decorated Naval officer who served our nation with distinction. Gil felt it was his duty to serve our nation, and proudly enlisted to serve alongside our brave men and women in uniform. As a veteran, Gil has a unique understanding of the challenges that our men and women in uniform face when they return home and has been an incredible advocate for veterans and their families. We trust Gil’s commitment to our country and our service members, and as military veterans and residents of this district we strongly condemn and denounce this baseless attack propagated by shady and out of touch Washington special interests.”
The local veterans signing onto the statement include:
Zeke Hernandez, Veteran U.S. Army, Specialist 4th Class
Richard M. Ramirez, Ed. D., Veteran U.S. Air Force, Airman First Class, E-4
Kim Hayford Smith, Esq., Veteran U.S. Army Reserve, Specialist 4th Class
Art Montes, Veteran U.S. Marine Corps, Corporal
Chick Adams, Veteran U.S. Army, Specialist 4th Class
Chris Wade, Veteran U.S. Marine Corps, Captain
Dr. Silas Abrego, Veteran U.S. Army, Private First Class
Dr. Manuel Baca, Veteran U.S. Marine Corps, Sergeant
Evan Seyfried, Veteran U.S. Navy
Gil Cisneros is an independent leader running for Congress to ensure our children are provided with the same ladder of opportunity that the Navy provided him:
- The son of a public-school cafeteria worker and a Vietnam veteran, Cisneros attended college on a Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (R.O.T.C.) scholarship and graduated with a B.A. in Political Science from The George Washington University.
- Through ten years of service to our country as a U.S. Naval Officer, Cisneros was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal, Navy Achievement Medal, the National Defense Medal, and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
- Cisneros is an education and veterans advocate and co-founder of The Gilbert & Jacki Cisneros Foundation, an organization committed to strengthening public schools and creating college opportunities for students and veterans.
- Cisneros has worked to promote access to quality education by supporting Yellow Ribbon programs for veterans, establishing scholarships, and creating an endowment for the dependents of former Navy Supply Corps personnel.
- Cisneros has also pledged to not accept any PAC or corporate special interest money throughout his campaign.